Privacy-compliant provision of preliminary exam results
Managers can use the grades section to provide preliminary examination results in accordance with data protection regulations. Managers will see a table with all results, students will only see their own results. Alternatively, you can enter the examination results in RWTHonline (accessible only from the RWTH network).
You can optionally display not only the grade but also the achieved points for individual examination tasks and the total sum of points.
For data protection reasons, persons such as student assistants are not allowed to see either the exam files or the grade for the exam. Student assistants are often used as tutors and in RWTHmoodle they get the role of "Tutor". If student assistants are booked in this role, they have to be removed from the course room before the exam files and the exam grade can be provided, because people with this role can view all files provided in the activity "Assignment" and also all grades. This is permitted for the supervision of students during exercises during the semester, but not in the context of providing the exam files and exam grades.
1. Preparing the CSV file with the exam results
2. Create Grade Item for grades
3. Create Grade Item for achieved points
4. Add missing students to the course room
5. Import of the CSV file
6. Control visibility of results
7. Inform students
The basis for provisioning the grades in RWTHmoodle is the list of examination applications from RWTHonline. The CSV file from RWTHonline contains the columns A to Y. Only the following columns are required for the import to RWTHmoodle:
- REGISTRATION NUMBER
Delete the remaining columns for a better overview. If necessary, add additional columns on the right side with the achieved points.
Use a point as decimal separator for the grade column and additional points columns. Otherwise the import of the results will fail with the error "Invalid grade".
Also, please make sure that the registration numbers have six digits. If they have only five digits please add a leading zero at the beginning. Otherwise the import will fail.
The column GRADE from the result file can contain numerical values as well as text such as "X" or "NZ".
Before you import the results, you must therefore create Grade Item in Grades. Otherwise, the import terminates with an error message.
- Open "Grades" in the course room.
- In the drop-down menu in the middle of the page, select "Gradebook setup".
- This takes you to the list of existing grade items (= graded activities) for the course room.
- Click on "Add Grade Item" below the list.
- On the new page you can now define the settings for the grade item.
- Give the grade item a suitable name, for example "exam result".
- Select the grade type "Scale" and then choose the predefined scale "RWTH-Notenspiegel (ab WS2018/19)". This scale has the following predefined values: X, PA, U, B, NZ, 5.0, 4.0, 3.7, 3.3, 3.0, 2.7, 2.3, 2.0, 1.7, 1.3, 1.0.
- If required, you can use the option "Hide" to hide the grade item and only make it visible to the students after importing and checking the correctness of all data. This also works time-controlled with a click on "Show more...".
- Please keep the setting "Default (Real)" for the option "Grade display type", available when clicking on "Show more...". If choosing "Letter" for example the imported grades "1.0", "1.3" etc. will be translated into a grading scheme of "A-F".
- In the next section "Parent Category"" you define how the evaluation aspect is to be weighted in relation to other evaluation aspects within the course.
- Since the exam grade should not be included in the total of scores of exercises accompanying this course, click "Weight adjusted" and set the weight to "0".
After saving, the new evaluation aspect appears in the list of existing evaluation aspects.
If you also want to import and display the achieved points, repeat the procedure described above for the corresponding additional columns of your CSV file.
- Instead of "Scale", select the grade type "Value" and specify the maximum number of points.
- Set the weight to "0" so that the grade item is not included in the category or course total for assignments, tests and other assessment elements during the course.
If students have taken the exam who are not yet booked as participants in the course room, you must add them to the course room before importing the grades. Only then can they see their results.
- Export the list of participants in RWTHmoodle and compare it with the examination result list to find out which persons have not yet been booked in the RWTHmoodle course room.
- Then add the missing persons to the course room as "Extra user" using the matriculation number.
In the next step, you can import the CSV file with the results.
- To do this, switch to "Import - CSV File" in the Ratings drop-down menu.
- Upload the file into the appropriate field and select the appropriate delimiter.
- In a file created with a German Excel file, the separator should be a semicolon, otherwise it should be a comma.
- All other settings can be left as they are.
- With "Upload grades" you upload the file to the system.
- The next page will then show you an import preview. Here you can make further settings.
- First, assign the column with the matriculation number from the CSV file to the field "Registration number" in RWTHmoodle to identify the users: From REGISTRATION_NUMBER to matriculation number.
- Then assign the grade items correctly:
- From GRADE to the fitting grade item.
- Optionally: From points in the CSV to the fitting grade item
After importing the grades, they are immediately visible to the students. The students only see their own results. If you want to check the results after the import and only then make them visible, hide the grade item that you have created for providing the exam result.
- To do this, switch to the gradebook setup, click on "Edit" next to the evaluation aspect and select the "Hide" option.
- To make the results visible, select "Show".
The aspects can also be made visible at a specific time.
- Open the setting options for the grade item via "Edit", click then on "Edit settings".
- Click on "Show more" in the grade item section.
- Here you can then select a date and time from which the grade item is to be made visible.
After importing or setting the results to visible, you should inform the students that the results can now be viewed. For this you can create an announcement, for example. This announcement is automatically sent as an e-mail to all course participants in RWTHmoodle.
Please add the following legal notice to the announcement:
Note: The results entered in the course room of RWTHmoodle under "Grades" are preliminary and serve information purposes only! Final examination results can only be viewed in RWTHonline.
For further information:
- Enter exam results in RWTHonline (Website only reachable from the RWTH network)
- Grades and grade remarks (in Download area at the bottom of the page, Website only reachable from the RWTH network)