A text and media area (label resource) serves as a spacer on a Moodle course page. It can be used to add text, images, multimedia or code in between other resources in the different sections. It is a very versatile resource and can help to improve the appearance of a course if used thoughtfully. Banners or descriptions may be added to Labels to distinguish between and highlight different areas.
On the other hand, overuse of multimedia (sound, video) in labels can slow down the loading of a course page.
1. Create a text and media area
- Switch the course room to edit mode using the "Edit mode" slider next to your name in the upper right corner.
- Click on the link "Create material or activity" in the course section where you want to create a text page.
- In the activity, choose to click the check box of the "text and media area" resource.
- Click on the button "Add" to create a text and media area. You are automatically redirected to the settings page to configure the text and media area.
2. Configure a text and media area
2.1. General settings
In the text and media area, enter the text that should appear directly on the course page. When designing your text you can use all functionalities of the HTML editor: formatting, inserting images or links etc.
2.2. Common module settings
- Availability - With this setting, you can hide a text and media area from the students. This means that this resource is not immediately available, but can be made visible at a later date.
- ID number - This setting allows you to uniquely identify or reference the text and media area in formulas for calculating the grade. If the text and media area is not included in any calculation of the overall grades, you can leave this field empty.
2.3. Restrict access
With these settings, you can attach certain conditions to the visibility and availability of the text and media area to students. For more information, see the article Restrict Access.
2.4. Activity completion
You use these settings to define criteria or conditions when an activity is considered (successfully) completed. For detailed information, see the article Activity completion settings.
By clicking on "Save and return to course" you save all settings and the content of the text and media area and return to the course page.
2.6. Notification about content change
The settings for the activities can be reached after creating them within the activity via the central menu navigation. Here you will find activity-specific settings and you can also save the activity directly individually.
If you subsequently make changes to the settings, activate the checkbox "Send notification of content change" to inform all participants about the new or changed activity. All participants who can access the activity receive the notification.
For more information: