Who is allowed to use the cluster?
Authorization enable access to the cluster. However, since the amount of resources is limited, an application for a computing project has to be submitted for any resource request exceeding the minimum use or from any external applicant, which then is reviewed. In general the following rules hold:
Authorized users without computing project application
- Members of RWTH Aachen University
- Members of the UKA for research and teaching (FB10)
- Persons with partner status of RWTH Aachen University
Authorized users through JARDS computing project application
- Members of German public or government-approved teaching and resesearch institutions
Authorized users through computing project participation via invitation from a PI/PC
- Members of approved computing projects
The amount of resources is limited. For more resources an application for a computing project has to be submitted which then is reviewed. The following persons are allowed to apply for compute ressources at the RWTH Compute Cluster:
As PI for the project categories RWTH small, RWTH medium, RWTH thesis, RWTH lecture and JARA:
- Leading researcher (usually with doctorate) of RWTH Institutes
- Leading researcher (usually with doctorate) of RWTH An-Institutes
- Employees of RWTH Aachen in the context of student thesis supervision (bachelor/master) (RWTH Thesis only)
- Guest lecturer of RWTH Aachen (RWTH Lecture only)
- Leading (usually with doctorate) researcher of the UKA for teaching and research (FB10)
- Leading (usually with doctorate) researcher of FZ Jülich (a one-time registration in the RWTH Identity Management system is a prerequisite)
As PI of other German public or government-approved teaching and resesearch institutions for the project categories BUND or PREP, e.g.:
- Leading researcher (usually with doctorate) of Fraunhofer Institutes
- Leading researcher (usually with doctorate) of Leibniz Association Institutions
- Leading researcher (usually with doctorate) of Helmholtz Association
- Leading researcher (usually with doctorate) of Universities (including "Fachhochschulen")
Citizens of countries that are subject to the export control policy of the German Federal Government may need additional authorization from the German Federal Office for Economic Affairs and Export Control (BAFA) before they are allowed to use the RWTH Compute Cluster. In compute time projects the PI is responsible.
Apart from using local compute resources scientists at RWTH can apply for resources on
- machines of Research Center Jülich (so far this was the BlueGene/Q and in future this will be Intel Xeon Phi based Booster system) in the context of the JARA Partition.
- national HPC facilities organized in the Gauss Centre for Supercomputing or
- European facilities in the context of the Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe (PRACE).
Such an application is carefully reviewed taking technical and scientific aspects into account. The used software packages must be very well suited to the respective hardware architecture of the target machinery. Typically, the appropriate scalability of parallel applications has to be proved. In many cases the scientific soundness of such a proposal can be underpinned by approved scientific research grants.