FAQ - VPN (Virtual Private Network)
You should always install the VPN client in the default installation path, otherwise it will not work.
If the problem still exists, please try a different VPN client version.
When uninstalling Cisco AnyConnect, it may happen that the software cannot be completely uninstalled.
This means that reinstallation is no longer possible, even if the software under the folder has been completely removed.
To avoid this problem, enter the following command in the terminal as the final step of the deinstallation: sudo pkgutil --forget com.cisco.pkg.anyconnect.vpn
Please make sure that you always enter the exact name of the package.
To change your IP into dynamic, please proceed with the following steps:
- Go to "Network and Sharing Center"
- Select the active LAN/Wireless connection and then right click to show the "Properties"
- The "Local Area Connections Properties" window will open where you can see a list of the installed protocols. Select the TCP/IP protocol and click on "Properties".
- In the "Internet Protocol Version Properties" tab, select "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically".
Using Full Tunnel, every Internet connection runs over the RWTH VPN.
In Split Tunnel, data is only transported through the VPN tunnel if it comes from a website or from IT services within the RWTH Aachen University.
Open the status window of the LAN / Wireless connection (Start -> Network connections -> Click on then connection or right click on the "Connection" symbol in the taskbar). In the window network support tab, you can check the IP address of your computer.
If the IP differs than 134.61.[96-103].[1-254], then the IP has not been assigned correctly.
Open the start menu and select "Network connections". If a network bridge is listed, delete it.
If deleting is denied by Windows, disable all network connections and try again. The network bridge must be removed so the VPN client can work.
There are different possible reasons:
1. The username or the password are incorrect.Please note:
- Your username for the vpn account has the form ab123456
- You must set a password for your vpn account in the selfservice
If you have lost your username or password, please contact the IT-ServiceDesk.
2. Your account has been deactivated due to viruses and/or spam e-mails: My account has been deactivated, what should I do to activate it again?
3. A firewall prevents the traffic to the VPN server. In this case, please switch off the firewall and try again.
In none of the reasons are relevant for you, please contact the IT-ServiceDesk and provide the following information:
- Are you using the Cisco Anyconnect Mobility client to connect to the vpn?
- What version of the Anyconnect client do you use?
- What is your IP-address (IPv4 and IPv6 if you have one)? You can check your IP-address using the following pages:
- What operating system in what version do you have?
- What antivirus software in what version do you use?
- When did you try to connect to the vpn last time (date and time)?
- Please send us the los of the Anyconnect client. You can export the logs as described here (for Windows and for MacOS):
You can easily solve this problem by a minor adjustment in the Cisco client. Open the client and click on "Options". Then click on "Properties" and then "General". Check the "Allow local LAN access" flag and confirm with "OK". You should now be able to print with existing VPN connection, except when using the MoPS profile.
IP addresses are assigned from the following range:
184.108.40.206 - 220.127.116.11
There is always a reason if your account has been locked.
The most common reason is due to viruses and /or spam sent through the deactivated account. Mistakes are almost impossible.
You can check the status of your account on our Selfservice. Enter your username and password and check in "Accounts" if your vpn account has been deactivated. To re-activate your account, you need to make sure that your computer is virus-free and that all known security vulnerabilities are eliminated (especially in Microsoft Systems).
Attention! First install all (Windows) updates offline before you use the internet!
In addition, the IT Center notifies deactivated users on their email address Firstname.Lastname@rwth-aachen.de. It is therefore important to check your emails on a regular basis.
Upon initial deactivation: If your system has been scanned and repaired or possibly reinstalled, you can regain your access by calling 0241 80-24 680.
Repeated deactivation: You need to bring your device to the IT-ServiceDesk and provide on-site evidence that your computer is safe for the network.
In case of repeated violations of the Network Code of Conduct, a reactivation of the account can not be guaranteed.
The IT Center alerts the user via email on their email address email@example.com or...@post.rwth-aachen.de if a virus has been detected on their computer. It is therefore essential to check your emails regularly. If you have received a virus warning, please immediately remove the virus from your system. The IT ServiceDesk will gladly provide assistance if needed. Otherwise, your access will be deactivated to prevent the virus from spreading from your computer to the network. Your account will not be deactivated if you deleted the virus immediately and inform firstname.lastname@example.org via email that your computer is virus free. (Although exceptions can happen due to high viral load in the network).
It may happen that the VPN connection under Ubuntu does not work anymore. The reason for that is that some additional packages for the Network Manager should be installed. A list of packages available for the installation can be found here:
The recommended version of AnyConnect for macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) is AnyConnect 4.5.02XXX and above.