FAQ - Gigamove
Several factors might be involved:
- Are the required Cookies (Shibboleth Identity Provider of the home institution, Discovery Service of the DFN and Shibboleth Service Provider on the Gigamove server) allowed?
- Does another Shibboleth authentication work? It is usually enough to engage a Shibboleth service provider of the home institution.
- The Shibboleth authentication is successful but you are still not granted access? There are two possible causes for this:
- The Shibboleth Identity Provider is not registered in the DFN or does not have the required degree of reliance ('Advanced').
- Not all of the required attributes are provided by the home institution’s Shibboleth Identity Provider. Opening the following URL might help: https://gigamove.rz.rwth-aachen.de/Shibboleth.sso/Session
- Does a firewall, application level proxy etc. block the access?
c:\ ping -n 3 gigamove.rz.rwth-aachen.de
$ ping -c 3 gigamove.rz.rwth-aachen.de
- Due to the redundancy of upstream servers a note on duplicated packages might appear.
The application store the file provided by you for a maximum of 14 days. This period can be adjusted individually. On default it is 7 days. The respective Link is invalid after the expiration and the file will be deleted from the server. The link for providing a requested file does not have an expiration date. If a requested file is uploaded, however, it will be stored on the server for 14 days. Both, provided or requested files, or their respective links, can be deleted manually at any time.
Most browsers set a 2 GB upload limit for technical reasons. On exception is Opera in which you can upload files of any size.
There is, however, a possibility of splitting oversized files into several smaller files that can be reassembled by the recipient after the transfer. Several options to do this are introduced below:
- Split with split:
The command split, splits a file in several parts of the same size. With the option '-b n' you can determine the size of the individual files (each file = n bytes), '-b nk' and '-b nm' enables you to give the size in Kilo/Megabyte.
split -b 1024m a 2 GB file
- Reassemble with cat:
With the command cat, the recipient can merge several file into one:
cat one2GBfileaa one2GBfileab > one2gbfile
- Split with split:
There are several useful tools to split and reassemble files:
The whole application is protected via https, this means that data transfer is encrypted and cannot be intercepted. Gigamove offers you to protect the exchange additionally with a password. Those who have the ID, and if required know the password, can download the file. Therefore, the protection of the data exchange depends on whether the ID, for example of the download link, is communicated confidentially and then remains secret. The ID’s are taken out of a total of about 5 x 1024 different ID’s. However, complete security cannot be guaranteed, as ID’s might fall into the wrong hands, either because of trying or guessing or because of a user’s carelessness. Some possibilities of securing the exchange even more are introduced below:
- Password protected archive
- Encrypting file(s) with TrueCrypt-Containers
Furthermore, every user has the possibility of deleting the files immediately after downloading them.
Only you and the recipient of the link can access the data provided. Should the link be passed on to third parties, these persons can also access the data.
The administrators of the system have access to the server and the file system, but access to the data by an administrator by service instruction without good reason is prohibited.
To prevent access by administrators, you can encrypt your data before uploading it. You must encrypt the file yourself before uploading it.
1. a virus may have been found in the file This file is deleted immediately after detection.
2. Possibly the validity of the file has expired.