Microsoft Azure is a cloud computing platform for Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Infrastructure as a Service (Iaas) services offered by Microsoft. The authentication for Microsoft Azure is realized via the Single-Sign-On Account (Shibboleth).
Please confirm the following points before use:
Notice of the transfer of personal data to Microsoft. This data is concrete: first and last name and e-mail address and serves exclusively for the authentication of the user.
Since Microsoft Azure is a software with US origin, US export control law must be observed in addition to directly applicable national and supranational law. You can find further information on this topic at: www9.rwth-aachen.de/export
The services offered are provided on servers that are not located in the RWTH computer centers and to which the RWTH has no physical access. Microsoft alone is responsible for the services offered there. The RWTH has taken the following measures in advance:
- the location of the machines is limited to Europe. Therefore the DSGVO applies.
- A contract for order processing was concluded with Microsoft and also with our contract partner SoftwareOne
The following obligations exist for the users:
- The need for protection of the data stored in Azure must be checked with regard to data category, need for protection and suitability and, if necessary, coordinated with the data protection officer of RWTH Aachen University.
- The respective user is responsible for securing the data stored in the cloud.
- If possible, "Germany" should be selected as the location for the services.
- The use of Azure for private purposes is not permitted.
- Applicable contractual agreements, legal provisions or RWTH internal guidelines for the use of data must be observed and, if necessary, coordinated with the data protection officer. Examples are agreements with third parties on confidentiality or legal requirements from the German Data Protection Ordinance (DSVGO), which may preclude storage with a cloud service or only permit it under certain conditions. The following applies in particular:
- Personal particularly sensitive data in accordance with Art. 9 Para. 1 DSGVO may not be stored in the cloud either unencrypted or encrypted. This includes data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or ideological beliefs or trade union membership, as well as the processing of genetic data, biometric data for the unambiguous identification of a natural person, health data or data relating to the sex life or sexual orientation of a natural person.
- General personal data not covered by the data mentioned under a. are only to be stored in encrypted form. Unencrypted storage is not permitted. The valid license and usage conditions of Microsoft, which are listed at https://www.microsoft.com/de-DE/useterms, must be observed.
State: 10th of Februray, 2020