Who is allowed to use the RWTH Compute Cluster?
- Employees of RWTH Aachen University can use the RWTH Compute Cluster in the context of education and publicly funded research projects of their institutes without any fees. The amount of resources they can use is limited. For more resources an application for a computing project has to be submitted which then is reviewed.
- Students of RWTH Aachen University can use the the RWTH Compute Cluster in the context of their studies without any fees. The amount of resources they can use is limited. In the context of lectures the lecturer can apply for resources for participating students. In the context of theses the adviser can apply for more resources.
- Employees of Research Center Jülich can submit proposals for using the RWTH Compute Cluster for computing projects which then will be reviewed. A one-time registration in the RWTH Identity Management system is a prerequisite.
- Scientists of other German institutions in education and research can submit proposals for using the RWTH Compute Cluster for large computing projects which then will be reviewed.
They can as well take part as computing project members if the principle investigator of this project is an employee of RWTH Aachen University or the Research Center Jülich.
Apart from using local compute resources scientists at RWTH can apply for resources on
- machines of Research Center Jülich (so far this was the BlueGene/Q and in future this will be Intel Xeon Phi based Booster system) in the context of the JARA-HPC Partition.
- national HPC facilities organized in the Gauss Centre for Supercomputing or
- European facilities in the context of the Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe (PRACE).
Such an application is carefully reviewed taking technical and scientific aspects into account. The used software packages must be very well suited to the respective hardware architecture of the target machinery. Typically, the appropriate scalability of parallel applications has to be proved. In many cases the scientific soundness of such a proposal can be underpinned by approved scientific research grants.
Citizens of countries that are subject to the export control policy of the German Federal Government may need additional authorization from the German Federal Office for Economic Affairs and Export Control (BAFA) before they are allowed to use the RWTH Compute Cluster.
How to apply for compute resources?
Please find more information at http://www.itc.rwth-aachen.de/hpc-project