Reuse videos from the RWTH streaming server (Opencast)
Currently, streaming videos are only available in the course room in which they were uploaded to the RWTH streaming server. In order to use the same videos in another course room, they have to be uploaded there again or imported from an alread existing course room. The import takes place in several steps:
- Step 1: Activity import via course import: Each video provided in the course room is integrated via an activity (e.g. Video activity) or a resource (e.g. Page, Label). The activity/resource acts as a kind of "container" without which the video cannot be made available. This container (activity/resource) must therefore be imported into the target course room in a first step and before the actual video import (see instructions course import).
- Step 2: Video import using Opencast block: After those activities/resources through which the videos are provided have been imported to the target course room, the next step is to import the videos into the target course room. This import process is described using these instructions.
- Step 3: If you do not use the "Video activity" to embed the video (but e.g. Page, Label), you have to manually renew the embeddings of the videos in the activities/resources after the activity and video import has been completed, since only the course-room related Opencast video repository is copied during this import. When using the "Video Activity", this step is not required, since in this case, with the completion of steps 1 and 2, the video will work in the target course room without any further adjustments.
When importing video activities, be sure to import the associated activities first (Step 1) and then the videos (Step 2). If the order is reversed, the videos can no longer be automatically assigned to the activities, which is why in this case the embedding of the videos in the video activity must be renewed manually (see Step 3).
You also have the option to import from the origin course exclusively the videos uploaded to the RWTH streaming server without any associated activities into the target course room. In this case, the imported videos must then be embedded into the target course room via new activities/resources to be created. In this case, step 1 can be skipped.
Streaming video import
- Use the course import to import those activities that provide videos in the origin course room and that you want to import to the target course room. If you want to import only the videos from the RWTH streaming server into the target course room without the associated activities, start with step 2.
- In the "Video Streaming (Opencast)" block on the right side of the course room, click on "Go to overview..." (or "More videos...").
- Below the list of videos already processed or in progress is the "Import videos from another course" section. Click the "Import videos" button here.
- Select the course room from which you want to import. If necessary, use the search function to find the right course room. The hit list only displays course rooms in which you also hold the role of "manager". In case the lists contains several course rooms with identical names the first one in the list is the newer one.
- Click on "Continue".
- Select the checkboxes next to the videos you want to import into the target course room. If you want to import all videos to the target course room, select "Select all/none". All the checkboxes will then be selected. Click "Continue".
Note that when importing video, web VTT files for captions or chapter marks are not imported. It is also not possible to import attached thumbnails. If necessary, you can add the Web VTT files or thumbnails as attachments to the video after the video import.
- If you use the video activity (so-called "episode modules) for the embedding of videos and have already imported the activities via the course import, the following note will appear. The pre-selected checkbox in the notification window must remain activated in any case so that the videos are automatically embedded into the associated video activities after the import. Therefore just click on "Continue".
If no video activities related to the videos to be imported have been added to the target course room, a note appears regarding this (see screenshot below). Click on "Continue". Note: If you intend to import related video activities from the source course into the target course room in addition to the video import, the import of these activities must take place before the actual video import. Therefore, select "Cancel" and import the video activities via the course import first. Then start the video import again. The message shown above should now appear instead, which you confirm by clicking "Continue".
- In the overview that appears, click the "Import videos and return to overview" button. The import will now start.
- The selected videos will now appear in the overview. You can recognize them by the orange clock icon , as the import is being processed and published to the streaming server. Depending on the file size, this process may take a few minutes. Once the import of the video is complete, the video is marked with a green hook .
For more information:
- Embedding of videos in the course room with the video-activity
- Embedding videos from the RWTH streaming server (Opencast)
- Course import