Embedding videos from the RWTH streaming server (Opencast)
You can embed videos from the RWTH streaming server anywhere in a course room where the editor is available. This could be a Page resource, a contribution in the Forum, or a description of an Assignment. In addition to the embeddings via the editor, there is the option of embedding videos with the video activity to a course room quickly and easily with a mouse click. In any case, the videos must be uploaded to the streaming server in a previous step.
Using the Label resource you can show a single video directly on the course room page. Here, the video can be played immediately. This form of presentation, however, needs much more space than a link to a separate "Page" containing videos. This might reduce the clarity and overview of the course room page.
This description shows how to embed a video through the editor using Page as an example. Embedding videos in "Labels" and resources or activities work the same way everywhere else where the editor is available:
- Switch the course room to editing mode via "Turn editing on" in the upper right corner.
- Click "Add an activity or resource" in the section in which the video should be shown.
- Select the option "Page" and click "Add".
- Choose a name and optionally a description for your "Page". For example, add the titles of the videos on this page or a small description of their content.
- Click the content text field and then the button "Insert or edit audio/video file"
- In the new window, select the tab "Video" and click "Browse repositories...".
- Then select "Opencast Videos" in the list of repositories.
- Click on the video and then "Select this file". You will then be redirected back to the tab "Video".
- By clicking "Insert Media", the video will be inserted into the "Page". For technical reasons in some browsers - for example, Firefox - you will see the error message "No video with supported format and MIME type found." Nevertheless, the video will be playable after saving the page.
- If required, add additional texts before or after the video, for example, the title of the video or a short content description. To add additional videos below the one you just added simply repeat the procedure described here.
- Save your "Page" by clicking "Save and go back to course".
The video can now be found on the course room page. After clicking on the page to open it all participants of the course can play and watch it.
Students cannot download the streaming videos through a download button or by right-clicking on the video and choosing "Save link as". Nevertheless, technically skilled students will find a way to download them anyway.