Direct embedding of videos in the course room with the video-activity
Videos from the RWTH streaming server can be added to a learning space quickly and easily with a mouse click using the video activity, without having to include them in another activity (e.g. text page and text field) via the editor.
If you want to play the video from the learning space by clicking on its title, this option of direct integration with the video activity is recommended. If, on the other hand, the video is to be displayed prominently on the learning space page or is to be used to supplement existing material (e.g. a post in the forum or the description of an assignment), it must be integrated via another activity. For this, please read the instructions for embedding videos from the RWTH streaming server (Opencast). In any case, the videos must be uploaded to the streamingserver in a previous step.
Besides the possibility to add single videos to the learning space, the video activity also offers the option to add multiple videos ("video series") to the learning space at the same time.
In the case of a video embedding via another activity (Page, Label, etc.), the embedding of the videos in the activities must be manually renewed after activity and corresponding video have been imported, since in this case only the course space-related Opencast video repository is copied. The video import when using the video activity is therefore less time-consuming and generally recommended.
To include a video from the RWTH streaming server as a video activity in the course room, it must first be uploaded to it (see the instructions for uploading videos to the RWTH streamingserver). Then you can embed it in the course room.
- To embed the desired video via the video activity in the course room, click "Go to overview..." in the "Videostreaming (Opencast)" block.
- This takes you to the "Videos available in this course" list. This shows all videos uploaded to the RWTH streaming server.
- The "Provide" column uses two different icons to indicate which videos are already embedded as video activities and which are not yet.
- The player icon indicates videos that are already embedded. Clicking the icon takes you directly to the video activity.
- Click on the arrow icon to add a single video activity, which will be configured in the following step.
- Optionally, give the video activity a description and, if necessary, a title that differs from the file name.
- If you want to set up a download option for the video provided, you have the option to add a download link in the description field (see instructions for setting up a download option for videos on the streaming server).
- By default, the video is added in the General course section below the activities already created there. To add the video in another course section, select the appropriate section in the drop-down list at "Course section of the Opencast single video activity".
After adding it to the course room, you can move the video to another section at any time in edit mode by holding down the mouse button on the double arrow icon .
- You can link the visibility and availability of the video for the students to certain conditions, e.g. a certain group membership. To do this, click "Add prerequisite" at "Prerequisites of the Opencast single video activity" and set the desired prerequisite(s). See also the article Restricting access.
- To add more videos, click "Add moduley and return to overview". To return to the course page, click "Add module and return to course". The successful embedding of the video is indicated with a message:
- The added video is now accessible in the course room with a mouse click. You can recognize the embedded video by the puzzle icon .
- If you want to make further settings after embedding the video, switch the course page to edit mode. After that, click "Edit" nex to the video and then select "Edit settings".
- Here you have the option to modify the title and/or description of the video.
- If you don't want the description to be visible in the course select "Show more" and uncheck the box next to "Show description on course page".
- If the option "Display activity description when launched" is activated, the description appears above the video in a field with a blue background after the video activity has been selected in the course by mouse click. If the option "Display activity name when launched" is activated (default setting), the video title is also displayed above the video:
With the video activity, it is not possible to display the video directly in the course room page. If you want to do this, you have to include the video in the course room via the editor with the resource "Label". However, this form of display takes up significantly more space than linking to a separate page with videos. Likewise, it is not possible to embed several related videos at the same time. Use the "Page" material type for this purpose.
- With "Launch container" you define the type of display. By default, the video is displayed in an existing Moodle window (Embedded option). If you want the video to open in a new window, select the New Window option. Depending on the browser, a new tab is created or a new window is opened.
- In addition, the following setting options are available:
Privacy: These settings are not relevant for the use of the video activity.
Grade: These settings are not relevant for the use of the video activity.
Outcomes (possibly): These settings are not relevant for the use of the video activity.
Common module settings - Availability: Select whether the activity should be immediately displayed to students or hidden from them.
Restrict access: Tie the visibility and availability of the task to specific conditions. See also the article Restrict access.
Activity completion: If you want the activity to be marked as completed when the video is called up, you have the option here to define when it is considered completed (i.e.: viewed). For detailed information, see the article Settings for activity completion.
Students cannot download the streaming videos by clicking the download button or right-clicking the video and selecting the "Save link as" option. However, there is no way to prevent tech-savvy students from downloading the video anyway. To explicitly give students the option to download, read the instructions for setting a download option for videos on the the streamingserver.
If you want to embed all videos uploaded to the streaming server "en bloc" into the course room, click "Add Opencast series module to course" below the list in the "Provide video" section. The embedding process is analogous to the embedding of individual videos.
When using the Opencast Series activity, all videos available in this course are added to the course without exception. It is not possible to selectively choose specific videos using this option. If you want to include only selected videos in the course room, add them to the course room as individual videos one after the other by clicking the arrow icon .
For more information: