Playing videos from the streaming server
The Opencast streaming server of the RWTH Aachen University uses the Paella Player to play videos. The player offers a number of controls to adjust the playback speed and video quality, to call up subtitles or chapter marks or to zoom into the video.
The controls are available partly in the image, partly above the timeline.
Videos uploaded as presentations also have a slide/frame navigation automatically generated from the video file.
- At the top left of the picture there is a semi-transparent play button.
- At the top center of the video image there are two semi-transparent buttons that allow you to zoom in or out of the video. When zooming into the video, the currently visible section within the overall picture is displayed in the upper right corner of the video image. You can move the visible section by dragging the video image.
- You move the mouse over the video image, a button is displayed for a few seconds on the right side of the image to activate the picture-in-picture view. When you activate it, the video is displayed in a reduced size in the lower right corner of the screen and always continues to run in the foreground, even when you switch from the browser to other applications. Clicking the icon to exit the Picture-in-Picture mode will return you to normal play mode.
- Play video
- Back 10 seconds in the video
- Skip 30 seconds in video
- Adjust playback speed: 0.75x, 1x (default), 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, 3x, 4x
- Adjust volume level with slider (appears when clicked)
- Show zoom option: zoom in, zoom out, return to default
- Adjust video quality: 720p, 1080p, auto (adjusts automatically starting with 360p)
- Call up metadata. Here you can also see how often the video has been watched.
- Start full screen mode
- Customize video layout: If a presenter and a presentation video have been uploaded, you can set here whether only one of the two videos should be shown in the foreground, both videos next to each other or both videos picture-in-picture. The button is only displayed if two videos have been uploaded.
- Possible layouts: Presenter in the foreground, Presentation in the foreground, Presenter and presentation side by side.
- Slide If the "side by side" layout is selected, two arrows appear in the presentation video to jump to the previous or next slide.
- If the "side by side" layout is selected, the option to display the two videos picture-in-picture also appears. One of the videos will be displayed in front of the other in a reduced size. With the circle symbol you can swap the position of the videos, i.e. which of the two videos should be displayed large in the background and which small in the foreground.
- Search in the video
- Call up the slide timeline to navigate to the appropriate slide
- Subtitles or chapters, if uploaded as WebVTT file
For videos uploaded as presentations, Opencast automatically generates a slide/frame navigation from the video file. The timeline shows the slide changes and makes it easy to jump between the sections.
Lesen Sie hierzu: