Course-wide Group Mode
RWTHmoodle has several group modes for activities. These allow managers to filter user contributions within the activity by group membership using a separate drop-down menu. For communication and collaboration activities such as forums, glossaries, or wikis, the group modes also control the visibility of a group's contributions to the other groups.
The group modes may be activated for single activities or course-wide in the course settings.
1. Activate course-wide Group Mode
In the course settings of the course room, you can specify that all activities in the course room are used in Group Mode by default. To do so, activate the course room-wide Group Mode:
- Open the course room in which you want to change the Group Mode.
- Click the gear wheel in the upper right corner, and then click "Edit settings" to open the "Course administration".
- Open the section "Groups" by clicking on it.
- Select the desired Group Mode.
- Furthermore, you can force the use of the Group Mode. If that setting is set to "Yes," the Group Mode defined in the course context will apply to all activities in that course and cannot be changed in that context.
- Save your settings by clicking on "Save changes".
2. Meaning of the different Group Modes
- No groups - There are no groups in the learning room, all participants belong to the whole group.
- Visible groups - Each group only sees the members of its own group. The other groups and their activities like forum posts or wiki entries are invisible.
- Separate groups - Each group works on its own but sees the other groups and their activities, but only with read access.
Selecting one of the Group Modes additionally activates a dropdown menu within the activity, which can be used to filter for contributions from the respective groups, depending on the permissions level.
The activation of a Group Mode does not limit the access to an activity or material to a certain group. Please use the "Restrict Access" settings in the activity settings for this.
3. Examples for the effects of Group Mode
- Using groups in the Forum activity allows managers to restrict discussion among students to discussions within a group. In the "Separate Groups" Group Mode, group members only see posts by members of their own group and can only reply to those posts. The discussions of other groups are not visible. In the Group Mode "Visible groups", students can read the other groups' discussion posts but can only reply to them in the context of their own group.
- If Group Mode is enabled for an Assignment activity, managers can filter submissions to show only the submissions of members of a selected group. There is no difference between visible and separate groups for assignments. A group never sees the submissions of other groups.
For more information: