Roles and permissions
In RWTHmoodle, participants of the course rooms can have different editing permissions. These editing permissions are managed via roles. The role tutor can be configured additionally.
1. Roles and their permissions in RWTHmoodle
The permissions in RWTHmoodle are represented in roles. The following roles are available:
- Manager - They design the course room, manage participants and dates, provide learning content, plan and execute learning activities, and manage student assessments. Lecturers from RWTHonline are automatically booked as managers.
- Tutor - This category is suitable for tutors who need to correct and evaluate student exercises. They are manually added to the course by managers. If persons with this role should have additional permissions in the course room, this can be set via "Change permissions for tutors".
- Editing tutor (this role has expired and can no longer be assigned) - This role gives tutors the additional right to provide files in folders. These "folders" must first be inserted into the course room by the "manager". To do so, the managers have to use the function "+Add an activity or resource". Please note that this role can no longer be assigned. Managers who wish to grant their tutors additional rights in the course room can do so via "Change permissions for tutors".
- Student - Students with a fixed place for the course in RWTHonline are automatically added to the course room in this role. If they are to be removed from the course room, they must be deregistered from the course in RWTHonline. They do not have editing permission in the course room, i.e. they cannot create, edit or delete activities. They can, however, create content in a number of activities, for example, give answers in electronic self-tests, create submissions in assignments, create submissions and assessments in peer reviews, book appointment slots in organizers, create contributions in PDF annotators and forums, or provide other students with files in student folders.
- Extra user - They have the same rights as the "Student" role, but are manually added to or removed from the course room by the manager. This role is suitable for persons who cannot register for a course in RWTHonline.
2. Change permissions for tutors
For tutors who are supposed to assist within a course room, RWTHmoodle offers the role Tutor. People with this role can, for example, view, download, correct and evaluate student submissions in the activity "Assignment" or manually correct free text questions in the activity "Quiz".
If the tutors should have more rights in the course room, please proceed as manager as follows:
- Click on "Participants" in the navigation of the course room to open the participants list.
- There, click on the blue gear wheel above the "Groups" button. Another view will now open where you can choose additional settings for the participants of the course room.
- Click on "Change permissions for tutors".
- Select the different permissions for the person with the role tutor.
The option "Add activities and resources" gives tutors extensive permissions to manage the course room. They can then add, edit or delete all activities and materials. Therefore, it is important to assign these permissions carefully.
- Click on "Save changes".
The persons who have the role tutor in the course room or who will be added to it in the future as a tutor will then have the predefined permissions.
For more information: