Distribution of Individual Access Codes via the "Gradebook" Area
The managers create unique, individual random codes for each meeting and all participating students. These are distributed to students via temp-Moodle shortly before the meeting so that they only see their individual code.
When entering the Zoom meeting, students add the code to their display name.
1. Generating a Random Code
2. Uploading the List to the "Grades" Section
2.1. Creating a Grade Category
2.2. Creating Grade Items
2.3. Uploading Random Codes
2.4. Checking the Display
2.5. Making Data Visible
Create a CSV file with the random codes you want students to add to their Zoom display name. You can generate such codes, for example, by using the online string generator at https://random.org/strings/. We recommend using 3- or 4-digit random strings of uppercase letters, such as "EDLY".
In addition to the random codes, for identification purposes, the file must contain the matriculation numbers of all participating students to which the random codes are assigned. The file is to be uploaded to the exam room.
Therefore, we recommend using the list of participants of the exam room as a basis for creating the file. This list can be easily exported as a CSV file.
- Go to the exam room.
- Open the list of “Participants” (left-hand side in the navigation bar).
- Click on the blue gearwheel icon in the upper right corner within the white area.
- Select the option "Export student table".
- The list of participants automatically starts downloading as a CSV file.
- The exported list contains the first and last names of the participants, their matriculation numbers, their group memberships, and their role in the exam room.
- Add a column to the list for the random codes with which to identify students in the Zoom meeting. For example, name the column "Zoom <Date>".
- Save this list to your computer.
The random codes for the verification of student identity in Zoom meetings are provided via the “Grades” area. However, they should not be mixed there with assessments of student activity. Therefore, first, create a new grade category. Later, you can store the grade items together with the random codes in this grade category.
- In the exam oom, open the "Grades" area in the navigation bar on the left. You will now see the "Grader report", including the results achieved by course participants in assessed activities.
- Click on the drop-down menu "Grader report" and select "Gradebook setup" in the "Settings” section.
- In Gradebook setup, click the "Add category" button below the displayed list.
- Give the category an appropriate name, for example "Presence Zoom Meetings".
- In the "Category total" section, select the "Hidden" option.
- In the "Category total" section, select the "Weight adjusted" option and set it to 0.
- Leave all other settings as they are and click "Save changes".
- You will now be taken back to "Gradebook setup" and will see the newly created grade category in the overview.
- After choosing "Gradebook setup", click on "Add grade item" below the overview.
- Choose an appropriate name for the grade item, such as “Zoom <Date>”.
- As grade type, select "Text".
- If you want to initially hide the grade item, choose the corresponding option. You must then manually make the grade aspect visible to the students at a later time.
- Alternatively, you can also use the "Hide until" option under "Show more..." in combination with a date to make the grade item containing the random codes automatically visible.
- In the "Parent Category" section, select the grade category as created in step 2.1.
- Save the new grade item by clicking "Save changes".
- You will be taken back to the "Gradebook setup" where you will see the newly created grade item.
Now you can upload the list of random codes created earlier.
- In the "Grader report" drop-down menu, select the "CSV file” option in the “Import” section.
- Drag and drop the prepared file into the “File” upload area.
- The encoding should remain UTF-8.
- Select the delimiter as used in the file. The German default delimiter in Excel is a semicolon. Under the English-language settings, the delimiter is a comma.
- Keep the other settings unchanged and click on "Upload grades".
- You will then see the import preview box. Under “Identify Participants”, choose "Allocation of” and select the column with the student ID number from your CSV file.
- For "Assignment to", select "matriculation number".
- Then, in "Assignment of grade items", leave all settings unchanged ("Ignore") except for the column with the random codes.
- For this column, click on the drop-down menu at the "Ignore” entry. In the menu, scroll down to the "Feedback" section and select the appropriate entry, "Feedback for <Name of Grade Item>". PLEASE NOTE: Make sure to select "Feedback for <...>", otherwise the assignment will not be correct and this may lead to errors.
- Subsequently click on "Upload grades".
- The grades can now be viewed in the "User report” on grades in the "Feedback" column. Please note that the column "Feedback" is only displayed in the user report, but not in the grader report.
In the user report you can view the grades from the students' view and from the managers' view.
- In order to review the imported data, in the Grader report, click the drop-down menu in the upper left corner and select "User report" in the "Display" section.
- Then, to the right of the table, select "Display report as" to get to the manager's view. In the manager’s view you can also view hidden grades.
- Then, to the right of the table, for "Select all or one user", select either "All users" or a single person who has been assigned a random code.
- Then, for "Select all or one user", select either "All users" or an individual participant who has been assigned a random code. If the grade item has been hidden, the corresponding row is grayed out.
- Under "View report as", choose "User". Now you can see the same report from the students' perspective. Grades hidden using the date function are grayed out in a list. However, the imported random code is not displayed in the "Feedback" column. If you have hidden the grade item manually, the entire grade item will not be displayed.
If you have decided to make the grade item containing the random codes automatically visible via the date/time function, students will see the grade item and its content from the chosen date and time. If you selected the "hide" option when creating the grade item, you have to manually make it visible.
- Click on the "Grader report" drop-down menu and select the "Gradebook setup” option in the "Setup" section.
- For the desired grade item, click on "Edit" in the "Actions" column.
- Then select "Show".
- The previously grayed-out (= hidden for students) grade item is now displayed in black font color and is visible to students.
- In the "User report," choosing the "User” setting, the evaluation aspect is now displayed.